Friday, September 17, 2010

A Piece of Cake: A Memoir Review


I bought this book a few years ago for my sister who had gone through a lot of negative experiences in her life and I wanted her to read this story that I had heard was very inspirational. My sister passed away without reading this book two years ago and I now have the book. I started reading it last week and found it riveting when I first began reading it. I cried when she found her mother dead and cradled her while singing to her and I totally believed that the incident happened. After reading the next few chapters, I began to doubt that truthfulness of this memoir. First of all, it really doesn't make sense that a judge would give a child to the biological father who the very next day turns her over to a foster home. Cupcake mentions many times how her foster mother was receiving funds from the State of California to raise her. Well, that absolutely could not be true. The State had given custody to her father, why would they then pay for foster care. Her father could possibly have gotten welfare for Cupcake and her brother if he was not working, but they would not pay for foster care if he was the custodial parent. And if they were going to pay for foster care, her "Daddy" could've gotten her, or her uncle. After reading these chapters, it made me seriously doubt the other chapters.She claims to have turned her first "trick" at 11 years old after meeting a hooker the night she ran away. This story reads like a "movie of the week" and I'm sure it has been embellished. I haven't finished the book yet, but I will continue to read to see how the events leading up to her "metamorphisis" transpire. I will continue reading this book as a piece of fiction, not a true life memoir. By the way how could she possibly remember these events in such minute details when she was supposedly always in a drug and/or alcohol haze.Get more detail about A Piece of Cake: A Memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment