Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Purchase Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith


Author Anne LaMott has walked a different faith road than the conventional writer of "inspirational" books. Like Madeleine L'Engle, a favorite among novelists for me, she has no ties to the Christianity that identifies itself with conservative political and social beliefs. Her life story includes alcoholism, battles with a co-dependent mother, single motherhood entered into by choice, and a passion for causes. In this volume of essays, she draws the reader into that life. She writes with grace, beauty, immediacy, and dark humor, and she kept me turning pages longer than planned each time I picked this book up.

My one negative comment is that despite agreeing with her about it, I became quite tired of hearing about the Bush administration. Otherwise, a good read by an author whose other work may well interest me!

--Reviewed by Nina M. Osier, author of "Love, Jimmy: A Maine Veteran's Longest Battle"Get more detail about Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment