Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Buying It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman


It took me a bit to warm to this writer--the sort of "humorous" drop-out, ne'er-do-well drifter story has never appealed to an overachiever goody-goody like me, but then she started to get deeper than that, with stories of how her B/C/D-list stand-up comedian father let her down, the therapists she encountered (I've been there, too, sister). When I studied improv, they always said to avoid drug-taking scenes, because they were likely to be too boring, and maybe that's true here, but then she moved away from the druggie roommate, and got a lot funnier along the way. There are subtle callbacks--references to earlier parts of the story--that took me a sec to pick up on, and then I laughed out loud. Not something I do a lot when reading humor-writing....so it must be good.

Truth in Comedy, indeed.Get more detail about It's Not Me, It's You: Subjective Recollections from a Terminally Optimistic, Chronically Sarcastic and Occasionally Inebriated Woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment