Friday, October 22, 2010

The Fellowship of the Ring (Isis Clear Type Classic) (Vol 1) Top Quality


Few can compare to Tolkien for fantasty writing. Every time I pick up this series I find myself astounded by the beauty of the writing and the richness of the characters. It's different now that I've seen the movies. I find myself trying to picture places and things from viewing them on the TV screen instead of relying on my imagination more. Once I finally start to imagine things again though it's like Dorothy stepping into Oz - full blown color, brilliant scenery and fantastic creatures that I've known since I was a child.

One of my favorite characters was left out of the movies and, while at first I was disappointed, getting reacquainted with him in reading was made even more pleasurable. Tom Bombadil, in Tolkien's own words, is an enigma. He does not fit the molds, fantastic though they may be, created for the other races and characters. In speaking to my dad about this read through I mentioned that it's incredible to me how Tolkien wrote in such a distinct way, not only in describing and speaking as individual people in the book, but also how sweeping he wrote about their races as a whole. When the Hobbits speak, they are Hobbits. The same with the race of man, elves, dwarfs and even the council-folk. Each voice carries the weight of history of their kind behind it and that's not an easy thing to accomplish and one that, in my opinion, is often forgotten about or overlooked.

I love re-reading these books. I still feel the same thrill when Elrond says, ".. This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great". I still quake with fear when the drums beat deep within the heart of Khazad-dum. I wonder at the description of Galadriel but still can feel a kinship with the longing for home and a hearth that Sam often wishes for. I could go on for house speaking of my love for this story.. but this is not the time or place for it.

If you haven't read it, I highly encourage you to do soGet more detail about The Fellowship of the Ring (Isis Clear Type Classic) (Vol 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment