Sunday, May 30, 2010

Purchase Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy




"Who stands fast? Only the man whose final standard is not his reason, his principles, his conscience, his freedom, or his virtue, but who is ready to sacrifice all this when he is called to obedient and responsible action in faith and in exclusive allegiance to God - the responsible man, who tries to make his whole life an answer to the question and call of God."

That quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer says so much about the man you come to know in a powerful way through the writing of Eric Mataxas in Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. Bonhoeffer is a man I became acquainted with over 25 years ago in seminary as we read portions of The Cost of Discipleship and Life Together. Therefore I was familiar with his story and writings. But Mataxas took me beyond all of that in a powerful way!

To see Bonhoeffer's faith in relationship to the times and struggles he was part of, makes the reader think much about their own faith! That is exactly the kind of biography I love to read and Eric Metaxas has hit the mark. When I can read a biography that leads me to look at and examine my own life and faith, I know the author has done a great job of pulling me in. And Metaxas did that from the beginning.

The resources that Metaxas had into Bonhoeffer's life brings out parts of his life, family, and faith that have not been seen in other writings. And that is part of what makes this biography so appealing.

So whether you are familiar or not with Dietrich Bonhoeffer, I strongly recommend picking up a copy. This is one that can profoundly change your life!

Get more detail about Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy.

No comments:

Post a Comment