Wednesday, August 25, 2010

HOME GAME


Most (if not all) of the reviews here are from fathers and/or mothers. And they all recommend this book. I am not a father yet but soon to be. We are expecting our first child in mid-September. Ultrasound showed we will have a boy! :) I found this book very fun to read. So much fun I want more! Michael Lewis is really a great storyteller. I get drawn into his world as a dad while reading this book.

The book is mainly broken into 3 parts. One for each of his kids. The stories are not step-by-step chronological accounts of his experiences but descriptions of his fatherhood moments. These "moments" are probably typical (I wouldn't know yet) in a family setting but the way he wrote them is just plain funny! More than half the time I find myself laughing out loud like I'm in a stand up comedy show.

This book is not really a guide to fatherhood or even lessons for fathers and fathers-to-be. He's not lecturing, not even giving pointers. This is an account of his experiences as a father; but as we all know we learn from experiences, some from our own some from others. As I said earlier, I am a first time expectant father and by no means I can say this book got me prepared for what is to come. But I do know this, now I have a little better idea of what it's going to be like.

By the way, I bought this book through Kindle and read it between my iPhone and the iPad. The texts were rendered cleanly and Whispersync was flawless. There were no pics or diagrams in this Kindle version of the book.

**Spoiler Alert: He talked about vasectomy in the book. I really did not like that (as you can probably understand with my situation). It was a pretty detailed account that I honestly skimmed and skipped over. Sorry, it's not for me right now and maybe ever.Get more detail about HOME GAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment