Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father Order Now


This was one of the most annoying books I've ever read. I was waiting, until the bitter end, for the author to finally get around to what made his father such a monster. Mind you, his father was not effectionate nor involved in his son's life but that was, to a degree, the norm back in the 50's and 60's......the father was the bread winner and the mother held up the emotional aspects of their children's lives.

Having grown up with a bi-polar father myself, I know what it's like to live in a hellish home yet I don't whine as much as this author does.Het took random, insignificant situations that all parents find themselves in and he twisted them to paint himself as a victim. For example, he explains how his father took him to the store but would not allow him to throw junk food in the cart. SO WHAT!!! I'm a parent and I don't allow that either yet he described it as being so traumatic.

Aside from the fact that he comes off SO utterly whiny, the strangest parts, or rather, the creepiest parts of the story were that in which he explains his odd behaivor as a child. What is really screwed up is the way that he describes his lifestyle as an adult. I found that part more distrbing than anything his father or mother ever did.

Waste of time. I'd be willing to bet that half of you have lived through more traumatic up-bringings than this guy!Get more detail about A Wolf at the Table: A Memoir of My Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment