Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star Review


Nikki Sixx's story is nothing but fascinating. The style this book was written and the words inside of it felt like I was reading tales from my own journal. No, I never lived as a rock star, nor did I have fame or the things his age and money left him do -- but there's something to be said for the erratic, lucid scribblings of a mad man. I've journaled since I can recall, and these single lines, occasional paragraphs and reasons behind his writings are just as I tend to do myself. There's also something to be said for the unconventional portrayal of one's biography. I no longer possess the attention span to fully follow chapters, paragraphs, and endless stories of someone's entire life. The way this is broken up and frequently changing pace kept my attention and made me appreciate the day to day happenings instead of the standard, "I was born here, went to school here, lost my way, it was crazy, and let my glamourize my downfall" style of most who feel possessed to "write a book" as had now become so common amongst, ooooh, just about everyone.
The other thing I really respected in reading this were the tales and accounts of other people in his life. I feel no biography is truly complete until you know how others close to you perceived your life, interactions, and relationships with them. It's one thing to have your own experience, but I feel when something's written merely one-sided from the author's view behind their own skull, you get a lopsided portrayal. It's easy for many to skip accountability and responsibility and inadvertently try to justify all their missteps by simply telling readers why they did what they did or what was going through their mind at the time. It takes a lot of humility and bravery to let others dish about you and let others read the negative things many had to say and share.
This book is relatable to many addicts, but also -- I would imagine -- gives a really detailed account of the beast of addiction so many get lost in to those who've never experienced it themselves. I felt it was chronicled so well that someone who's never touched a drug could really see just how things get out of hand so quickly. It wasn't just the fame, the talent, the music that led Nikki to where he ended up .. this story could be anyone's story. And, I feel he made that clear with the very quote even left on the back cover.
I am very impressed with this and would recommend it to mostly anyone.Get more detail about The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment